Cottage garden August calendar. Thing’s to do in the cottage garden this month.
August is normally the hottest month of the year. Your garden will
need water even if it rains, this time of year the rain will just run
off and not get deep into the water table. Remember to water your
hanging baskets, containers and greenhouse plants they will need extra
water on hot days. August is holiday time if you are going on holiday
make sure you have someone who can water your garden for you.
vary all over the country and your garden will have it’s own
micro climate so take that into consideration. You may need to adjust
this August calendar a little for your own cottage garden but it’s a
good place to start.
Make a note of these tasks in your calendar.
August Calendar: Flowering Cottage Plants.
- Water and feed sweet peas.
- Deadhead roses, dahlias, Penstermon and other flowers, ensuring more blooms.
- Prune flowering shoots of rambler roses. If climbing roses have finished flowering, they will need pruning this month
- Cut back hardy Geraniums to encourage new growth.
- Take softwood cuttings of Fuchsia.
fresh flowers for drying and to make pot-pourri. (Harvesting and drying
flowers article in English Cottage Lifestyle E-zine Issue #003).
a note of any gaps in your cottage garden so you can remember where to
plant in autumn. Do the same with over crowded areas and plan to reduce.
- In the middle of the month sow hardy annuals in situ to flower next summer.
- Collect and store favourite seeds from your cottage garden; hardy annuals and perennials for sowing later in the autumn.
- Pot on any rooted cuttings so that they can be well established by the end of the season.
Herbs, Vegetables, Soft Fruit and Fruit Trees.
- Take cuttings of herbs sage, rosemary and lavender. When
lavender has finished flowering cut it back to encourage flowers next
year. Dry the excess herb harvest. (Harvesting and drying herbs article
in English Cottage Lifestyle E-zine Issue #002)
time: lettuce, onions, spring onions, peas, early potatoes, radish,
spinach, tomatoes, turnips, French and runner beans, kohlrabi, kale,
courgettes, cucumbers, celery, cabbage, carrots and cauliflower.
- Sow the vegetables you want to eat such as fast growing summer vegetables and lettuce, turnips and winter hardy spring onion.
- Pick the fruit off raspberries when ready and then prune out old canes of raspberries.
- New strawberry plants can be planted, pot up runners from mature strawberry plants.
- Many fruits will be ready to harvest or the fruit will be swelling which means the plant will need lots of water to ripen.
and thin fruit trees such as apples and plums lightly to remove any
unnecessary growth. Cottage garden trees and plants should be full and
not to trimmed. Water trees regularly.
August Calendar: General Cottage Gardening Jobs.
- Keep weeding hoe between fruits and vegetables. Weed by hand in the flower beds.
the garden often this month, even if it rains especially young trees,
salad http://sbiapps.sitesell.com/sitebuilder/blockbuildervegetables and fruit. Hanging baskets, containers and house plants
need extra water this month.
- Turn the compost heap to ventilate it.
sure your greenhouse has good ventilation and shade and water plants
often. Keep it clean to help keep down pests and diseases.
- Look through gardening catalogues August is the time to buy spring-flowering bulbs.
Pot on: To plant into a larger size container, normally done when a
potted plant becomes to big for the container it is growing in.
Stay in touch, subscribe to ECL's Ezine
Top of August Calendar
Back To Cottage Garden Gardening Calendar
Back to English Cottage Lifestyle Home Page